Date: 11 Sept. 2004
Location: Moorsele, BELGIUM
AAD: VIGIL # 601 in PRO mode without altitude correction
Description of the jump
Due to the re-acceleration at 350m, Vigil recorded 2 consecutive graphs (n°41, 42).
Graph n° 41 looks as a normal freefall. *
- Jump out the plane ± 4000m followed by a freefall of 58 sec, starting at 3816m. **
- The main canopy opened at ± 900m, with a deceleration from ± 240km/h to ± 50km/h in ± 3 sec from ± 66m/sec to ± 14m/sec.
- Remark: the final falling speed of ± 14m/s was twice the normal falling speed of ± 7m/s and the skydiver had still a falling speed of more than 50km/h under the open canopy. **
Graph n° 42 is the continuation of jump 41. *
- The record of the graph started at ± 425m with a falling speed of ± 65km/h. **
- At ± 350m the graph stated an acceleration (spinning) followed by the cut-away at ± 290m with a falling speed of ± 32m/s.
- About 1 sec later, the falling speed exceeded 35m/s and crossed the activation speed line at an altitude of ± 220m.
- 5/8 of a sec later, a new freefall was stated. Time=0 on graph.
- At 212 m or 1/8 of a sec later, the cutter was activated.
Thanks to this patented calculation method, the Vigil activated its cutter to release the reserve in less than 1 sec, with a tolerance of only 8 meters! The result was that the falling speed was reduced to a normal ± 7m/s at an altitude of 90m and the skydiver landed safely. **
* See joint graphs (n°41 + 42).
** Graph record starts 7 sec before the falling speed exceeds 35m/s and stops 12 sec after the end of the freefall.
Those 2 graphs, downloaded from Vigil memory, prove that the Vigil did its job perfectly.
The graphs can be read using the following legend:
- The GREEN line is the altitude in meters or feet.
- The GREEN horizontal line is the preset activation altitude linked to the chosen mode.
- The RED line is the speed used by Vigil in km/h, mph, m/s or ft/s.
- The RED horizontal line is the preset activation speed linked to the chosen mode.
- The YELLOW line is the filtered speed, just to give the average falling speed during the freefall as info.
- The RED dot: detection of the freefall (min. 5/8 sec above activation speed).
- The YELLOW dot: detection end of the freefall (min. 5/8 sec under activation speed).
- The BLUE dot: activation of the Vigil.
- The Vigil starts to record grafically in memory 7 sec before start of freefall and stops 12 sec after end of freefall.