- When switched on, the Vigil® performs a complete self test to check all internal parameters and calibrates itself at the atmospheric pressure of the DZ altitude.
- When the “” logo appears, the Vigil® is ready to go with you on the plane. The Vigil® is now ready for use and is in a “stand-by” status (recalibrating itself every 32 seconds).
- During take off, Vigil I and Vigil II will go to an “active” status from 150 ft / 46m in a time of max. 32 seconds. Vigil 2+ will go to an “active” status at a fixed 1000ft / 305m altitude because it starts taking measurement 8 times per second already at 90ft / 27,5m. From that moment on, your Guardian Angel is ready to help you in critical situations!
- Once the door opens and you leave the plane, the Vigil® will calculate the time left over before reaching the activation altitude (for example: 1100 ft in PRO mode), by continuously measuring your falling speed and your altitude. The Vigil® takes in consideration the speed variation during the free fall and recalculates every 1/8 of a second the time left to reach the activation altitude. When you reach the activation altitude (time = 0) and if you are still falling at a speed above the preset value (for example:35m/sec in PRO mode), the Vigil® will instantaneously activate the cutter to allow your reserve parachute to deploy. This patented method ensures a very accurate activation altitude (+/- 60 feet).
- Vigil® works by permanent recalculation of the time left before activation (see patent).
- EU Patent N° EP 1084950B1
- US Patent N° US 6,378,808B1
- The Vigil II has been designed to resist a water immersion of 0,5 meter for maximum 30 minutes (IP 67).
- Vigil 2+ is waterproof (IP 68) and can withstand water immersion of max. 1,8 meters for a maximum of 24 hours.
- The Vigil® doesn’t need filter replacement. It has a built-in stainless steel air filter which does need to be replaced after contact with water (see chapter 6 of User’s Manual).